What is it?
- Diabetes is a chronic disease characterized by the body’s inability to produce enough insulin or to use it properly.
- It has chronic complications that are responsible for much of the mortality and morbidity associated with the disease.
- According to the Canadian Diabetes Association, an estimated 3.0 million Canadians have diabetes.
Why this project theme?
- Diabetes is a growing concern within Canada, affecting its people and its economy.
- The Canadian Diabetes Association reports that the economic burden of diabetes in Canada was about $12.2 billion for 2010 and is estimated to rise to $16.9 billion in 2020.
- Newer, more expensive treatment options have entered the market, but there is a lack of clear consensus on their optimal use.
- The diabetes project theme supports the Government of Canada’s Canadian Diabetes Strategy, which was launched in 1999 and renewed in 2005.